- Synthesis and properties of novel semiconductors and semiconductor nanostructures using energetic beams
We are no longer actively pursuing research in these areas but you can still follow the links to learn about what we have learned and access relevant publications.
- Mitigating global climate change
- Nanoporous materials
- Materials for imaging extrasolar planets : are the "little green men" really green?
- Self-organization and kinetics of formation, thermal stability, and decay of nano-scale structures in wafer-compatible processes
- Kinetics of nucleation and growth of solids from liquids, amorphous phases, and vapors or vapor-like phases far from equilibrium
- Growth of thin films using Pulsed Laser Ablation Induced Deposition
- Melting and rapid solidification of semiconductors and metals induced by nanosecond laser pulses
- Self and dopant diffusion in silicon and other semiconductors
- Nanopore fabrication, morphological evolution and stability for molecular detectors and ultra-rapid DNA sequencing
- Stress vs. Chemistry in the growth of nanostructures
- Using hydrostatic pressure and nonhydrostatic stress to determine atomistic mechanisms of kinetic processes such as atomic diffusion and crystal growth
- Growth and diffusion in stressed solids
- Viscous flow and diffusion in covalently bound amorphous materials
- Properties of nonequilibrium materials formed by rapid solidification